Learn the basics of how to make a raglan sweater using circular needles, knitted from the ‘top down’. We are honoured to be welcoming back Jill Blugan (known in the online knitting community as ‘Knit
Learn the basics of how to make a raglan sweater using circular needles, knitted from the ‘top down’.
We are honoured to be welcoming back Jill Blugan (known in the online knitting community as ‘Knit with Jill’) for a guest appearance. Please note this is a one off, full day workshop, with enough information and take away worksheets to continue at home, but there will be additional support available, if needed at our fortnightly Thursday evening craft club.
As part of the class you will also learn how to use a formulaic pattern that can be adapted to create a sweater or cardigan, fitted to your body (or someone else’s!) Once you get into “Top Down” knitting you will discover how versatile this way of working is, opening up your own ability to ‘design’ your own jumper, cardigan, caplet using different weights of yarn …the possibilities are endless!
This is an introductory class but you do need to have basic knitting skills including knowing how to cast on, knit & purl stitch, how to increase / decrease and cast off. Its also a suitable class for those of you new to working with circular needles and the ‘Top Down’ method. Additional support is also available at our fortnightly Thursday evening craft club.
On completion of this workshop, participants will confidently be able to:
– Make simple sweaters on circular needles
– Understand the importance of tension squares and sizing
– Create ribbing for elastication and detailing
– Experience 3d knitting
– Create your own colour work designs from simple stripes to more elaborate pattern combinations
– Increase and Decrease to create shaping
– Follow a simple design and understand how to adapt for a range of styles
– Get a good fit that flatters your body shape
YOU WILL REQUIRE:
– 400 – 600g of DK or aran yarn (as this is a scrap busting project we are envisaging participants bringing along odds and ends, half finished balls , charity shop finds or DK yarn in your stash already)
– 4mm circular needles that are 80cm long.
– Stitch Markers
– Wool / Darning sewing needle
Please get in touch with us before the class if you’d like advice on what to bring.
If you’d like to join the class and don’t have any yarns, you can also purchase from Fabrications on the day. We will offer you a 10% discount on yarns & notions purchased for your knitting class!
Class Size: Max 6 Students
How To Book: Contact us directly on o20 7275 8043 or BOOK ONLINE
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)
(Saturday) 11:00 am - 5:00 pm