Hishaki-nui techniques make symmetrical patterns and Miru shibori patterns comprise several parallel rows of stitching to create a wood grain
Fabrications welcomes Rob Jones to teach this class! Rob is a textile designer specializing in the ancient Japanese art of Shibori, using stitch, bound and clamped resist techniques to create intricate patterns and textures on scarves, table linens and lampshades. He selects both new and vintage textiles, sourcing beautiful old kimono silk from Japan and vintage and modern cloth from the UK for his creations, made at his studio in Hackney. Rob has studied at West Dean College and under Bryan Whitehead in Fujino, Japan in 2014.
During the workshop you’ll master the following stitching skills and learn how to dye your work:
– How to make the Shibori starting and ending knots to create tight, crisp patterns
– How to sew different types of Shibori stitches on the fold – ori nui (teeth stitch), maki nui (wrapped stitch) and Awase ori-nui (double fold)
– How to combine straight stitch and circle patterns
– How to sew the traditional Karamatsu (larch) pattern and how it can be applied to other shapes such as hexagons and hearts
– How to create motifs on the fold by combining the different shibori stitches
– How to make larger patterns using variations of these patterns
The class is aimed at beginners but any and all levels are welcome! It is a great follow on class to Rob’s morning ” Beginners Shibori” – A discount is offered when booking the full day.
TIME: 2:30am – 5:30pm
Class Size: 6 students
Please Bring: Your own rubber gloves (washing up style)
Fabric is provided. We will also provide shirts to wear but please avoid wearing your favourite clothes and shoes!
PRICE: £100 (Full Day – Beginners Shibori & Hishaki-Nui / Miru Shibori) or £55 (Afternoon session – Hishaki-Nui / Miru Shibori)
HOW TO BOOK: Contact us directly on 020 7275 8043 or BOOK ONLINE
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)
Health Guidelines for this Event
Rob JonesLondon-based Romor Designs was formed in the autumn of 2015 by Rob Jones, a shibori textiles designer and natural firstname.lastname@example.org
Fabrications7 Broadway MarketThe workshop / event takes place in the Fabrications "Imaginerium" studio located downstairs from the shop area.