Did you know you can draw with a domestic sewing machine? This class will introduce you to the creativity and joy of freestyle machine embroidery. Join Barley
Did you know you can draw with a domestic sewing machine? This class will introduce you to the creativity and joy of freestyle machine embroidery. Join Barley Massey who has been honing and exploring this technique in her upcycling and refashioning practise. Over the course of the day she will share tips on how to achieve different machine embroidered effects. From simple stitched line drawing, sketching, stylised graphical applique shapes/lettering, to building up layers of fabric remnants and couched threads and yarns for textural work.
In the morning you will create a series of experimental samples to try out various techniques and effects. In the afternoon the direction is up to you – bring along a garment to renew, create a series of patches or perhaps work on a one off textile artwork.
On completion of the class, participants should confidently be able to:
– Understand how to prepare a machine and fabric for freestyle machine embroidery (including hooping up and working with different ‘stabilisers’)
– Use the machine to draw with thread
– Explore a range of techniques including creating shapes / outlines, shading, changing thread colours and texturing
– Translate ideas into expressive textile art and quilting
– Use freestyle machine embroidery in other practical ways such as patching and renewing existing garments
Class Size: 6 Students
Please Bring: All materials, threads are provided and use of ‘Brother’ sewing machines. However, please prepare for the afternoon – bring some ideas / designs / garments / fabrics you are interested in working with and translating into freestyle embroidery.
HOW TO BOOK: Contact us directly on 020 7275 8043 or BOOK ONLINE
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)
Barley MasseyTextile Designer Maker & Founder/Caretaker of Fabrications Venuebarley@fabrications1.co.uk 7 Broadway Market
Fabrications7 Broadway MarketThe workshop / event takes place in the Fabrications "Imaginerium" studio located downstairs from the shop area.