Our Beginners Sewing Course is an introduction into machine sewing and has been developed to address the needs of those who have little or no
Our Beginners Sewing Course is an introduction into machine sewing and has been developed to address the needs of those who have little or no experience of using a sewing machine. Through these classes participants will learn not only basic sewing machine skills, but will develop the confidence to progress onto making things for themselves using a sewing machine.
Beginners Sewing 1 – introduction to using a sewing machine: Wednesday 2nd March, 6:30 – 9:30pm
On completion of this class participants will confidently be able to:
– thread a sewing machine and wind a bobbin.
– feed fabric through, sew in a straight line and turn corners.
– explore the range of features and stitches on the machine.
– trouble shoot about common errors and being aware of them!
– sew different types of seams.
– Understand how to hem the edge of the cloth.
– apply a pocket and patches.
Includes our ‘Learn to Sew’ textile handout (T-Towel) , other materials, use of ‘Brother’ sewing machines.
Beginners Sewing 2 – zips, buttonholes & bindings (and make a utility roll): Wednesday 9th March, 6:30 – 9:30pm
– Understand how to use different accessories that accompany domestic sewing machines, such as zipper, buttonhole feet.
– Stitch different sizes and styles of buttonholes.
– 2 ways of attaching a zip (visible and covered)
– Apply a bias binding to embellish and finish a raw edge.
– Create your own stylish ‘Utility Roll’ (suitable for your sewing notions, make up, pencils/brushes etc)
Includes pre prepared Utility Roll component materials , thread, use of ‘Brother’ sewing machines.
Beginners Sewing 3 – pockets & plackets: Wednesday 16th March, 6:30 – 9:30pm
– Be introduced to a range of pocket & placket styles and functions
– Patch Pocket: unlined, self-lined, “kangaroo” style, reinforcing methods
– Hip Pocket: angled or straight, how to insert a pocket bag
– Welt or Jet style Pocket: tailored finish, usually found on waistcoats and trousers
– An overview of which areas of a garment require plackets / facings and tips on adding
– Create your own tote style bag with multiple pockets
Includes pre prepared component materials , thread, use of ‘Brother’ sewing machines.
Class Size: 6 students
HOW TO BOOK: Contact us directly on 020 7275 8043 or BOOK ONLINE
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)
Health Guidelines for this Event
Barley MasseyTextile Designer Maker & Founder/Caretaker of Fabrications Venuebarley@fabrications1.co.uk 7 Broadway Market
Fabrications7 Broadway MarketThe workshop / event takes place in the Fabrications "Imaginerium" studio located downstairs from the shop area.