Our Beginners Knitting course has been specifically developed to meet the needs of those wishing to take the first step into the world of knitting. These classes will
Our Beginners Knitting course has been specifically developed to meet the needs of those wishing to take the first step into the world of knitting. These classes will not only introduce you to the fundamentals of knitting but also to practical advice on yarns, needles and pattern reading.
The classes are taught by Barley Massey & Aikeda Watson, who will watch over your learning with care, offer feedback/observations and answer your questions as they arise! There will also be some homework in between classes to keep up your practise and to help you gain more understanding and confidence with the techniques shown during class.
Part 1: Thursday 6th October, 6:30 – 9pm
– Understand the relationship between wool and needle sizes
– Make a Slip knot, use ‘thumb’ and ‘knitting on’ methods of casting on.
– Complete a plain stitch.
– Introduce a new ball of wool or new colour.
Homework: Carry on with your sampler to build confidence and rhythm.
Part 2: Thursday 20th October, 6:30 – 9pm
– Refresh on skills from Part 1
– Complete a purl stitch.
– Understand how to combine plain & purl stitch to create new stitches, eg: stocking stitch, ribbing and moss stitch.
– Read simple stitch patterns.
– How to cast off and sew in ends neatly and securely.
Homework: Simple snood project using the different textures you’ve learnt.
Part 3: Thursday 3rd November, 6:30 – 9pm
– Refresh on skills from Part 1 & 2
– Decode the language / abbreviations used in knitting patterns and apply to your knitting
– Simple increasing and decreasing methods to create shaping.
– Sewing up your knits and getting a neat finish
– Get advice on a project you would like to start.
Class Size: 8 students
Class Includes: A starter kit, worksheets, and wool for your homework project
Price: £100 (3 eves – every other Thursday)
To Book: Contact us directly on 020 7275 8043 or BOOK ONLINE
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)
Health Guidelines for this Event
Barley MasseyTextile Designer Maker & Founder/Caretaker of Fabrications Venuebarley@fabrications1.co.uk 7 Broadway Market
Fabrications7 Broadway MarketThe workshop / event takes place in the Fabrications "Imaginerium" studio located downstairs from the shop area.