Beginners Sewing Course (3 evenings)
November 4 @ 6:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:30 pm on Wednesday, repeating until 18th November 2020
Our Beginners Sewing Course has been developed to address the needs of those who have little or no experience of using a sewing machine. Through this course participants will learn not only basic sewing machine skills, but will develop the confidence to progress onto making things for themselves using a sewing machine.
Beginners Sewing 1 (Wednesday 4th November): Introduction to using a sewing machine
- thread a sewing machine and wind a bobbin.
- feed fabric through, sew in a straight line and turn corners.
- explore the range of features and stitches on the machine.
- sew different types of seams.
- understand how to hem the edge of the cloth.
- apply patches or applique.
Beginners Sewing 2 (Wednesday 11th November) : Zips, buttonholes & bindings
- Understand how to use different accessories that accompany domestic sewing machines, such as zipper, buttonhole feet.
- Stitch different sizes and styles of buttonholes.
- 2 ways of attaching a zip (visible and covered)
- Apply a bias binding to embellish and finish a raw edge.
- Create your own stylish ‘Utility Roll’ (suitable for your sewing notions, make up, pencils/brushes etc)
Beginners Sewing 3 (Wednesday 18th November) : Pockets & Plackets
- Be introduced to a range of pocket & placket styles and functions
- Patch Pocket: unlined, self-lined, “kangaroo” style, reinforcing methods
- Hip Pocket: angled or straight, how to insert a pocket bag
- Welt Pocket: tailored finish, usually found on waistcoats and trousers
- An overview of which areas of a garment require plackets / facings and tips on adding
Includes: our ‘Learn to Sew’ textile handout (T-Towel) and all other materials needed, use of ‘Brother’ sewing machines and tools.
Class Size: Now reduced to 4 participants to ensure social distancing.
Covid – 19 Safety Measures we have implemented
PRICE: £95 (block booking 3 eves) or £35 individual evenings
You can also book directly with us at the shop or over the phone (and save on the online booking fee)
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)