The introduction to using a sewing machine & upcycling class is aimed at those who have little or no experience of using a sewing machine or perhaps are feeling a bit rusty and would like to get into sewing again. Through this class participants will learn not only basic sewing machine skills, but will also be introduced or inspire you further to the marvels of 'Upcycling'
old clothes into new items using a sewing machine. By the end of the day participants will feel more comfortable in using a sewing machine and will leave with a collection of unique upcycled accessories designed by David Mumford.David Mumford
is a creative and skilled fashion designer and maker. David began designing and making clothes in the early 80's. He has run his own labels 'Nocturn' and 'Combination' as well as many years in the commercial fashion industry.
Most recently (2004 - 2013) he was one of the designers of the pioneering upcycling clothing brand 'Junky Styling'.
He now has own brand D.A.M specialising in upcycled garments and accessories available off the peg or to commission (and on sale in Fabrications shop
On completion of this class participants will confidently be able to:
- thread a sewing machine and wind a bobbin.
- feed fabric through, sew in a straight line and turn corners.
- explore the range of features and stitches on the machine.
- Understand the importance of 'seam allowance'
- Finish a 'raw' edge with zig zag stitch and overlocking
- Create different seams - staright seam & French seam
- Use different hemming methods - single and double fold
- Make and apply your own bias binding
- Create 'box pleats'
- Assemble cut fabric compnents to create accessories
- Look at old clothes from a new perpective!
TIME: 11am - 5pm
PRICE: £55 / £50 conc.
Includes all materials and refreshments (there will be a 1hr lunch break)
BOOK IN PERSON