If you have attended the morning class 'Improvers Sewing',
this session will put everything that you've learnt into practise and you will also leave with a unique made to measure skirt or pair of shorts. There is an upcycled option of creating a skirt from a man's shirt or you can bring your own fabric. Barley Massey will be guiding you through the process and has devised a few different designs to inspire your creative skirt making.
If you just want to attend the afternoon class only and inorder to realisticaly complete the garment in the allocated time frame, you will need to have basic sewing machine skills and have an understanding of how to sew seams, put a zip in, create a button hole and add a bias binding. Barley will of course support you through the making process from measuring your body, using a pattern, cutting out pattern pieces, assembling and finishing.
On completion of the class, participants will confidently be able to:
- Take measurements of your body to adapt the pattern and ensure the garment will fit you properly
- Understand best way to use fabric or shirts economically and understand direction of the fabric grain
- Use 'gathering stitch' to create shaping
- Assemble flat fabric panels on the sewing machine to create a 3d form
- Insert a zip
- Create a waistband with button hole and neatly attach onto the skirt / shorts
- Attach a bias binding to finish the bottom edge of the skirt (or a double-overed hem if you prefer a simpler look)
- Use hand sewing for finishing (such as putting on a button)
- Get into the art of 'Upcycling'
TIME: 2.30 - 5pm
PRICE: £30 / £25 includes use of machines, threads, zips, buttons, pattern paper. We also have shirts you can use for the upcycled option but you are welcome to bring along your own for the personal touch!
OR: £50 / £40 if you attend the FULL DAY (Morning: 'Improvers Sewing' Lunch Break followed by afternoon session 'Make your own simple & stylish skirt')
YOU WILL NEED: A classic man's shirt (XL) OR 1 - 2m fabric of your choice depending on length you want (We now sell beautiful ethical fabrics by the meter at Fabrications)
Suggested follow on class:
- Working with silk (make a camisole top & knicker set from vintage silk scarves)
- Working with jersey (Make a 'Tilly & the buttons' Coco top or dress)