- This event has passed.
Upcycle a garment using a folk embroidery design (or your own!)
11th August 2018 @ 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm£45
Spend an enjoyable experience with artist Milou Stella looking at different compositions, stitches that can be used to create different designs and textures and ways to transfer designs onto fabric and garments. With a focus on zero-waste and upcycling, this class offers a variety of techniques to suit your taste and creativity.
If you are new to hand embroidery we advise attending Milou’s introductory morning class – ” Moody Bright Hand Embroidery Workshop” . More experienced makers may want to go straight to the afternoon session where you will embark on an embroidered upcycling / customising garment adventure!
Milou Stella set up Moody Bright Designs – a project that focuses on hand embroidered customisation of second-hand items. As a trained painter (Slade school of art), she plays with contrast, colour and texture. She began “Moody Bright Designs” as a response to concerns about fast fashion and the environment, with an urgent need to slow down and appreciate the process of making something unique and of quality, whilst avoiding waste as much as possible.
On completion of the class participants will confidently be able to:
– Understand how to transfer a design onto clothing or cloth
– Explore a range of hand embroidery stitches including: Running Stitch, Back Stitch, Whipped Back Stitch, Laced Back Stitch, Split Stitch, Chain Stitch, Blanket Stitch, Lazy Daisy, Satin Stitch, French Knot, Bullion Stitch, Satin Stitch, Long & Short Stitch
– Design your own or use existing designs for hand embroidery
– Feel inspired to apply the same technique to your own projects
– Pick up some ‘insider’ tips, tricks and approaches from a practising artist.
YOU WILL NEED: Bring along an item of clothing to embellish. As a first project we recommend something made of medium weight, stable cloth and not too stretchy eg cotton / linen tops, shirts, sweatshirt.
LEVEL: Confident beginners
You can also book directly with us at the shop or over the phone (and save on the online booking fee)