- This event has passed.
Make your own simple & stylish skirt or shorts
29th September 2019 @ 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm£35
If you have attended the morning class ‘ Beginners Sewing 2’ (zips, buttonholes & bindings) this session will put everything that you’ve learnt into practice and you will also leave with a unique made to measure skirt or pair of shorts. There is an upcycled option of creating a skirt from a man’s shirt or you can bring your own fabric. Barley Massey will be guiding you through the process and has devised a few different designs to inspire your creative making.
If you just want to attend the afternoon class only and in order to realistically complete the garment in the allocated time frame, you will need to have basic sewing machine skills and have an understanding of how to sew seams, put a zip in, create a button hole and add a bias binding. Barley will of course support you through the making process from measuring your body, using a pattern, cutting out pattern pieces, assembling and finishing.
On completion of the class, participants will confidently be able to:
– Take measurements of your body to adapt the pattern and ensure the garment will fit you properly
– Understand best way to use fabric or shirts economically and understand direction of the fabric grain
– Assemble flat fabric panels on the sewing machine to create a 3d form
– Create an elasticated waistband
– Add a zipped pocket
– Create buttonholed ‘tabs’ or belt loops
– Hem the bottom edge with bias binding or a regular hem.
YOU WILL NEED: 2 x classic man’s shirt (XL) OR 1.5 – 2m fabric of your choice depending on length you want.
* * We sell lovely fabrics suitable for this class in Fabrications shop area* *
PRICE: £35 (1/2 day) or £60 (full day)
You can also book directly with us at the shop or over the phone (and save on the online booking fee)