- This event has passed.
Introduction to garment repairs & alterations
May 5 @ 11:00 am - 1:30 pm£35
The ‘Introduction to garment repairs & alterations’ has been developed for those fairly new to using a sewing machine and hand sewing techniques and is a good foundation class before working directly on your own clothing, which takes place in afternoon class ‘Refresh your Wardrobe’.
Basic sewing skills advised. If you have never used a sewing machine before, we recommend attending our ‘Beginners Sewing 1’ – introduction to using a sewing machine class.
The session is taught by ‘Fabrications’ Barley Massey who will share a variety of techniques, tips and tricks she picked up during her 15 years of working freelance in wardrobe for Film and TV and through her own textile upcycling practise of over 20 years.
On completion of the class participants will confidently be able to:
- Prepare a garment for modifying from trying on, measuring, pinning and best approach for sewing
- Understand how to take seams in or out
- Know how to lift or extend a hem.
- Apply darts, pleats, gathering and elasticating to reduce volume and shape to your body
- Use useful hand stitches such as invisible / slip stitch, back stitch and button hole stitch
- Apply different ideas and techniques to patch holes in garments ( subtle or also as a means to embellish / enhance)
- Darn holes in woollens
- Look at old clothes in a whole new way!
PRICE: £35 (1/2 day) or £60 (full day) includes all materials
You can also book directly with us at the shop or over the phone (and save on the online booking fee)
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)