Create your own “Artwear” jacket with Peter Gibson
October 27 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm£95
To accompany Peter Gibson’s “Artwear” exhibition at Fabrications this month (1st – 31st October) Peter is offering a one of a kind 1 day creative. workshop. Peter will open the workshop with the question – “What makes you tick?”
Peter Gibson calls himself a “Creativist”, a term he invented to describe his professional life as an Artist, Filmmaker, and Musician. He studied Fine Art and Pedagogy at Liverpool College of Art and Design in the early Sixties.
Peter began embroidering denim jackets – the stereotypical “Muso’s uniform” to relieve the boredom of endless motorway. He was entirely self taught and would always have an embroidery project “on the go” whilst touring . He has been “Jacketing” for over fifty years and continues to find this method of creative expression fully absorbing . Peter has been described as a “Painter with Threads” . He has his own visual language of “Stitchery” which is unique in its colour, design and way of working. He fabricates repeating motifs of colourful beings, musical notes, stars, and zigzags as well as text of song lyrics or notable phrases relevant to the subject matter .
Peters calls his Jackets “Artwear”, as each is an Art Piece in itself BUT also a functional item of clothing. Come along and enjoy a unique experience in Peter’s company, pick up some new skills and inspiration and start your own unique “Artwear” jacket.
On completion of the class participants will confidently be able to:
– Bring a plain item of clothing to life
– Explore expressive hand sewing and embroidery techniques
– Experiment with a ‘mixed media’ approach to embellishment
– Design your own or use existing designs for hand embroidery
– Pick up some ‘insider’ tips, tricks and approaches from a practising artist.
Included in this workshop:–
– Drawing supplies
– Embroidery threads to start your project (but please also bring your own, if you have specific colours in mind!)
– Embroidery Needle
– Embroidery Hoop
– Additional ‘found’ & vintage haberdashery such as buttons, patches, braid & lace
Please bring: Your own denim jacket to work on.
You can also book directly with us at the shop or over the phone (and save on the online booking fee)
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)