- This event has passed.
Beginners Sewing Weekender
August 3 @ 11:00 am - August 4 @ 5:30 pm£110
Our Beginners Sewing Weekender will take you from having no experience to starting to make your own clothes using a sewing machine in a friendly and creative atmosphere. Barley Massey will guide and build your confidence in how to set up a sewing machine, understand the stitch functions and simple sewing skills. Following the weekend, you will feel inspired and be armed with the foundation skills to start making items for yourself using a sewing machine.
SATURDAY AM: Introduction to using a sewing machine (series of ‘warm up’ excersises using Barley’s ‘Learn to Sew’ T-Towel / textile handout)
PM: Zips, buttonholes & bias binding (create your own patch worked ‘Utility Roll’ while learning the skills)
SUNDAY AM: Choosing your skirt design (gathered, pleated or pencil skirt * ) taking measurements, preparing and cutting out the cloth. Set up the machine and start assembling!
PM: Fitting, adding the waistband and completion of your skirt.
* There is an option to make shorts but please let us know in advance if you’d like to make this option
On completion of these 2 days training, participants will confidently be able to:
– thread a sewing machine and wind a bobbin.
– feed fabric through, sew in a straight line and turn corners.
– explore the range of features and stitches on the machine.
– trouble shoot as well as basic care and maintenance of a machine
– sew different types of seams.
– understand how to hem the edge of the cloth.
– know 2 different ways of inserting a zip
– how to create buttonholes
– make pockets
– add bias binding to seal a raw edge.
– make a skirt from scratch fitted to your body
– Insert a zip into a garment
– add a waistband with buttonhole finish
– get a professional finish to your sewing projects.
Includes our ‘Learn to Sew’ textile handout (T-Towel) , other materials, haberdashery and use of sewing machines and refreshments.
PLEASE BRING: 1 – 2m of fabric of your choice for the skirt making on the Sunday. (We also sell fabrics suitable for the class at Fabrications)
We will have 1/2 hour lunch break each day. There is a good choice of local eateries but feel free to bring a packed lunch.
You can also book directly with us at the shop or over the phone (and save on the online booking fee)
Please Note: The workshop will take place in the Fabrications studio (which is downstairs from the shop via 12 steps)